This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Tasty cornbread salad is a classic Southern salad bursting with comforting flavors. Sweet buttery cornbread gets tossed together with tomatoes, corn, pinto beans, bacon crumbles, green onions, and shredded cheese. A creamy ranch dressing perfectly marries these delicious salad ingredients together.
I LOVE corn! It’s such a versatile ingredient that can be used to taste savory or sweet. From this easy air fryer corn on the cob, to flavorful corn salad, or these amazing cornbread pancakes. Corn can shine in so many delicious ways and I hope you give those recipes a try!
What is Cornbread Salad?
If you LOVE cornbread, you are going to love this Southern cornbread salad. Cornbread is a surprising but perfect base to this salad and it adds the most incredible texture. Then you add in the perfect salad ingredients to make this salad complete. The tasty vegetables, bacon, cheese, and dressing all mixed together in one big bowl of yumminess! I can’t wait for you to try it because you’ll want to take it to every party or potluck. This is the first salad to get devoured!
If you love cornbread and the flavors of corn, you will love the flavors in this salad. I also have the best recipe for a corn casserole which is my family’s absolute favorite corn recipe. Corn is also great for making dips and soups. I have you covered on the blog with so many corn recipes!
The ingredients in this salad are full of beautiful colors that make it so appetizing! Everyone is drawn to the fresh veggies and no one can resist the cornbread in this salad. I always make this salad when I have leftover cornbread.
- Cornbread: Cornbread cubes either homemade or storebought. Leftover cornbread is perfect for this recipe!
- Cherry Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes are the perfect size for this salad but any tomatoes will work.
- Pinto Beans: Drained and rinsed.
- Corn: Drained canned corn.
- Bacon: Cooked and crumbled.
- Green Onions: I love green onions in this salad for flavor and added color.
- Colby Jack Cheese: Shredded Colby Jack is my favorite in this salad. Feel free to use cheddar cheese!
- Jalapeno: Diced jalapeno for heat. I love the extra kick but you can leave it out!
- Mayonnaise: The base for the creamy dressing.
- Sour Cream: Adds a little tang to the dressing.
- Ranch Dressing Powder: This adds flavor to the dressing and perfectly complements all the salad ingredients.
- Lime Juice: A little bit of lime juice brightens the flavors in the dressing.
Cornbread Salad Recipe
This cornbread salad comes together quickly and can be made one day ahead of time! Serve it layered in a trifle dish or tossed in a large bowl. This side dish is ideal for parties, potlucks, and family reunions.
- Prepare and Cut Cornbread: Prepare a pan of cornbread beforehand or use the leftover cornbread you have on hand. Cut the cooled cornbread into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add Salad Ingredients to a Large Bowl: Add the tomatoes, pinto beans, corn, bacon, green onions, shredded cheese, and jalapeno, if using.
- Prepare the Dressing: In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch powder, and lime juice. Whisk together until combined.
- Toss the Dressing With the Salad: Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and gently toss until fully mixed.
- Cover and Chill: Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Tips and Variations
This cornbread salad is flexible, so make it to your liking! Any easy way to switch it up is to use different beans or vegetables. like to add jalapeños for a little kick, but you can leave them out. Follow my tips and ideas below for making this yummy salad!
- Cornbread Tips: Make the cornbread ahead of time to make assembly a breeze. Allow it to cool before cutting. Store-bought cornbread makes it even easier! I love this recipe!
- Layer the Salad: Traditionally this salad is assembled by laying it in a clear large bowl. It’s fun to see all the layers and ingredients this way!
- Switch Up the Beans: I use pinto beans in this recipe, but black beans are a great alternative in this salad. You can also use kidney beans, white beans, or whatever beans are your favorite. Beans add protein and a meaty texture to the salad.
- Add Different Veggies: Add chopped bell peppers or red onion for added flavor and texture. Grilled corn would also be delish!
This is the absolute BEST salad to make in advance! It’s even better as it sits. Follow my tips below for making this salad ahead of time and for storing leftovers…if you have any!
- In the Refrigerator: Store the leftover salad in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Make Ahead: Prepare at least 2 hours or up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!
Pin this now to find it later
Prepare a pan of cornbread ahead of time or use leftover cornbread you have on hand. Cut the cooled cornbread into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl.
Add the tomatoes, pinto beans, corn, bacon, green onions, shredded cheese, and jalapeno if using.
In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch powder, and lime juice. Whisk together until combined.
Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and gently toss until fully mixed.
Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Serving: 1cupCalories: 1133kcalCarbohydrates: 106gProtein: 29gFat: 68gSaturated Fat: 22gPolyunsaturated Fat: 22gMonounsaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0.4gCholesterol: 152mgSodium: 1658mgPotassium: 847mgFiber: 11gSugar: 25gVitamin A: 1210IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 472mgIron: 5mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Like and Subscribe