Elevate your treats with this easy Streusel Topping recipe! Whether you sprinkle it before baking or bake it separately for a sweet crunch, it’s a tasty twist your baked goods will love!
This delicious streusel topping elevates any sweet dessert. Try it out on this delicious Peach Cobbler Cheesecake, this yummy Apple Pecan Crisp or this delicious Peach Crisp.
What is Streusel Topping?
Streusel topping is a sweet and crumbly topping that I’m sure you have seen on some of your favorite muffins, coffee cakes, and pies. It is usually made of ingredients like flour, sugar, butter, and sometimes some yummy spices or nuts. Once you bake it, the streusel becomes crispy and golden brown, creating a delicious contrast and texture to your delicious dessert!
Streusel is so delicious, that you could almost just eat it on its own! My favorite part is the brown sugar, which really adds a depth and yummy taste that goes with any other flavor. You’ve got to try this. You are going to love it!
Ingredients in Streusel Topping
This recipe is so simple to make! Because it only uses 4 ingredients, I bet that you already have all of them in your pantry, ready to go! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact measurements.
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- Brown Sugar: Like I said before, this is my favorite part! It adds such a depth and deliciously sweet flavor to the streusel.
- Salt: The salt enhances all of the flavors in the topping.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter in this streusel recipe.
Is Streusel Topping Easy to Make?
If you have 15 minutes, you can make this homemade streusel from start to finish! It’s easy, delicious, and goes with just about everything!
- Combine: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Then, add the melted butter. Stir until most of the dry ingredients are moistened, but some flour mixture remains.
To Use on Baked Goods
- Add to Baked Goods: If you are planning on using this with sweet bread, muffins, or anything that will be baked then you don’t need to pre-bake the streusel. You can add it directly to your recipe, and it will bake with it.
To Use as a Topping
- Bake: If you will be using it as a topping, spread the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes. Then, let cool completely and add it to your dessert!
This delicious streusel topping is easy to make! Here are some tips to look for so that yours turns out perfect.
- Different Size Crumbs: The mixture should be crumbly, with some large pieces and some smaller. You should be able to see some flour left that is unmoistened. This will allow for a good mix of crumbs and large pieces.
- Don’t Overbake: The streusel will look underbaked when it comes out of the oven, but it will continue cooking as it cools down.
- Add Cinnamon: If you want a little more zing to the flavor, then try adding 1/4-½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the dry mixture.
How to Store Leftovers
Unbaked Streusel: If you didn’t bake your streusel topping, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Use what you need as you need it and keep the remaining streusel chilled.
Baked Streusel: If you baked the streusel topping, You can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Add the melted butter and stir until most of the dry ingredients are moistened but some flour mixture remains.
If you would like to use this on sweet bread, muffins, or anything that will be baked, you do not need to pre-bake the streusel.
If you will be using it as a topping or on something that is already baked, spread the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely.
Serving2TablespoonsCalories150kcal (8%)Carbohydrates23g (8%)Protein1g (2%)Fat6g (9%)Saturated Fat4g (20%)Polyunsaturated Fat0.3gMonounsaturated Fat1gTrans Fat0.2gCholesterol15mg (5%)Sodium53mg (2%)Potassium34mg (1%)Fiber0.4g (2%)Sugar13g (14%)Vitamin A175IU (4%)Calcium15mg (2%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Like and Subscribe