If you’re looking for a fun and delicious dessert then you have to try this Wacky Cake recipe! This cake is full of rich chocolate flavor and topped with easy-to make chocolate whipped cream.
I love cake. Any flavor, and any kind whether it’s a fancy cake, a sheet cake or cupcakes, I am there! If you are a cake lover like I am then you can try out this yummy Jelly Roll Cake, this popular Texas Sheet Cake or these classic Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting!
What is Wacky Cake?
Wacky Cake is a delicious chocolate cake that gets it’s name becuase it uses no eggs or dairy to make the chocolate cake. Keep in mind that I did use heavy whipping cream in the topping so make sure to find a non-dairy option if youw ant to keep this cake entirely dairy free. To make it even “wackier”, some people even choose to just mix up the cake ingredients directly in the pan that you bake it in. No extra bowls needed!
This cake has been around since World War II and was made during the Great Depression because ingredients (especially eggs and dairy) were scarce. Don’t let the name steer you away though… There is nothing wacky about the taste. Packed with chocolate flavors and topped with a whipped chocolate frosting, this cake is for everyone. And you will know that as soon as you see how quickly this flies off the table!
What Ingredients are in Wacky Cake?
Even though this cake doesn’t use eggs as a traditional ingredient in the cake, it’s SO moist and delicious! You can check out the recipec card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact measurements.
- Flour: I use all-purpose flour in this cake recipe.
- Cocoa Powder: This is used in the base of the cake and the topping to capture that chocolate flavor.
- Sugar: This sweetens up the cake.
- Baking Soda: This helps the cake to rise and be soft.
- Salt: The salt enhances all of the flavors in the cake.
- White Vinegar: This ingredient might feel out of place but trust me! It reacts with the baking soda to create a chemical reaction that helps the cake rise and become tender.
- Vanilla Extract: A splash of vanilla complements the chocolate.
- Vegetable Oil: This makes the cake nice and moist.
- Water: This is the only liquid in the cake so it brings all of the ingredients together to create a batter that’s nice and smooth.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This helps create a light and airy texture for the chocolate whipped topping on this wacky cake.
- Powdered Sugar: The confectioners’ sugar adds sweetness to the topping.
Why is White Vinegar in Wacky Cake?
White vinegar is added to this Wacky Cake recipe because it helps the cake rise and become fluffy. When combined with baking soda, vinegar creates a reaction that produces gas bubbles. Because this recipe doesn’t have any eggs or dairy, the vinegar activates the baking soda and helps the cake to rise. The tiny air pockets from the bubbles help make the cake soft and airy.
Let’s Bake a Cake!
Whether you’re baking for a special occasion or simply craving a sweet treat, this wacky cake recipe is a winner. Gather your ingredients and get ready to enjoy a slice of pure deliciousness! You will definitley be reaching for seconds with this yummy treat.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with pan spray and set aside.
- Whisk Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add Wet Ingredients to Dry Ingredients: Add the vinegar, vanilla, oil, and water and stir until combined.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the center of the cake springs back when lightly pressed on or a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Let the cake cool completely before topping it with the chocolate whipped cream.
- Make Chocolate Whipped Topping: To make the whipped cream, add the cream, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder to a large bowl and beat until medium-stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over the cake, and enjoy!
If you can, try changing up the flavor of the base of this wacky cake so that you can eat it more often… It’s so easy to do and the options are endless!
- Mocha Wacky Cake: Add 1-2 tablespoons of instant coffee or espresso powder to the dry ingredients for a yummy coffee and chocolate flavor combo that everyone will love.
- Mint Chocolate Wacky Cake: Adding mint is always a good idea! Mix in 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the batter for a classic minty twist.
- Orange Zest Wacky Cake: Orange and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Add the zest of one orange to the batter to give the cake a hint of citrus flavor.
You can easily store leftovers of wacky cake. In fact, you can even make this ahead of time and freeze it for later!
- In the Refrigerator: Cover your cake with some foil or place the leftover slices in an airtight container. The cake will last in your fridge for 4-5 days.
- In the Freezer: Freezing a wacky cake is easy! Bake the cake but leave off the whipped topping. Let the cake cool, place it in an airtight container, and label it with the date. The cake will stay good in the freezer for 2-3 months. When you are ready to eat it, let it thaw in the fridge for a few hours (or overnight), and add the chocolate whipped topping onto the cake just before serving.
Chocolate Whipped Cream Topping
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with pan spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
Add the vinegar, vanilla, oil and water and stir until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the center of the cake springs back when lightly pressed on or a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cake cool completely before topping with the chocolate whipped cream.
To make the whipped cream, add the cream, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder to a large bowl and beat until medium stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over the cake and enjoy!
Calories357kcal (18%)Carbohydrates61g (20%)Protein5g (10%)Fat12g (18%)Saturated Fat7g (35%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat3gCholesterol34mg (11%)Sodium340mg (14%)Potassium134mg (4%)Fiber3g (12%)Sugar37g (41%)Vitamin A437IU (9%)Vitamin C0.2mgCalcium32mg (3%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Like and Subscribe