This fruity drink is a version of the Lava Flow cocktail that the whole family can enjoy! It’s creamy and refreshing with delicious coconut, pineapple, and strawberry in each sip.
Looking for more ways to keep cool, stay hydrated, and satisfy your sweet tooth? Try this mango strawberry smoothie, frosted lemonade, or cherry limeade!
What is a Lava Flow Drink?
A lava flow cocktail is a chilled drink that will make you feel like you’re on a tropical vacation. It’s a juicy blend of flavors that creates a stunning visual effect, just like flowing lava! Typically, this drink is made by combining white rum, coconut cream, pineapple juice, and fresh strawberries, but today’s recipe is a non-alcoholic version so that the whole family can enjoy it!
The magic happens when you pour a layer of strawberry puree into the glass, followed by the creamy coconut-pineapple mixture. This creates a beautiful red and white swirl reminiscent of molten lava. Together it creates a flavor that’s creamy, tangy, and sweet all at once! So relax, take a sip, and get ready to be transported to tropical paradise. For more delicious summer drinks, find my full list of recipes here!
Ingredients Needed for a Lava Flow Mocktail
Ready to make the most delicious frozen drink? Here is everything that you’ll need! Trust me, you’re going to want a lava flow drink in your hand all summer.
- Frozen Strawberries: These give the lava flow its signature red color and slush-like texture.
- Pineapple Juice: This gets blended with the cream and coconut for a piña colada-esque flavor. You can also use lime juice if you want something a little more sour.
- Half and Half: Adds creaminess to the pineapple coconut layer. You can also use milk for a lighter consistency, or a splash of heavy cream for a creamier consistency.
- Cream of Coconut: For the perfect tropical flavor! Any drink made with cream of coconut is so delicious.
- Bananas: I threw in half of a banana to balance out the tanginess of the pineapple.
- Ice: To create a slushie texture.
- Fresh Strawberries and Pineapple: (For garnish) break out your nicest glasses and add some fresh fruit as a garnish to really impress your friends and family!
How to Make a Non-Alcoholic Lava Flow
This lava flow drink is so good, and so easy to make! All it takes is a few steps of blending and layering, then you have a beautiful and tasty drink on your hands!
- Blend Strawberries With Pineapple: In a blender blend the strawberries and 1 ounce of the pineapple juice and the half and half until smooth.
- Add to Glass: Pour mixture into a glass, or divide evenly into multiple glasses if making more than 1 serving.
- Layer Coconut Mixture: Clean the blender well. Add the remaining pineapple juice, cream of coconut, banana, and ice. Blend until smooth. Slowly pour the pineapple mixture into the glass with the strawberry mixture.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish lava flow with a strawberry or pineapple wedge, if desired, and serve.
Ways to Customize Your Drink
Making tasty beverages at home is addictive! These are a few more ways you can make this tropical drink your own.
- Make it Boozy: For an adults-only version, add a splash of coconut or light rum.
- Make it Dairy-Free: Instead of half and half, use a splash of almond milk, oat milk, or even light coconut milk!
Making Ahead and Storing Leftovers
I recommend serving your lava flow drinks immediately so they don’t melt, but if you need to, here’s how to store them for later.
- In the Refrigerator: Store your strawberry and coconut mixtures separately in airtight pitchers so you can still achieve that layered look when ready to serve. I would only keep it in the fridge for an hour or two at most.
In a blender blend the strawberries and 1 ounce of the pineapple juice and the half and half until smooth.
Pour the strawberry mixture into a glass, or divide evenly into multiple glasses if making more than 1 serving.
Clean the blender well. Add the remaining pineapple juice, cream of coconut, banana, and ice. Blend until smooth. Slowly pour the pineapple mixture into the glass with the strawberry mixture.
Garnish with fresh fruit, if desired, and serve.
Calories526kcal (26%)Carbohydrates91g (30%)Protein2g (4%)Fat18g (28%)Saturated Fat15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fat0.3gMonounsaturated Fat1gCholesterol10mg (3%)Sodium75mg (3%)Potassium469mg (13%)Fiber6g (24%)Sugar77g (86%)Vitamin A151IU (3%)Vitamin C56mg (68%)Calcium63mg (6%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Like and Subscribe